International Studies Program - San Juan, Puerto Rico
Why choose San Juan?
Known today as “La Ciudad Amurallada” (the walled city), San Juan is one of the biggest natural harbors in the Caribbean and the oldest city in United States territory. It is also the one of the largest capitals in the Caribbean, with a population of around 2.73 million people. Old San Juan holds many of the government buildings and is characterized by its seventeenth and eighteenth century colonial style which echoes its Spanish ancestry.
About the International Studies Program
The International Studies program is specially designed for students who want a rich immersion experience on a Spanish campus. The program integrates thoughtful synthesis of study visits, language exchanges, volunteer, and other cultural opportunities into the curriculum, so that you may more fully integrate into the puertorriqueño culture.
The goal of the International Studies Program is to guide you to live as a member of puertorriqueño culture, while gaining a profound understanding of your surroundings. Courses designed for international students learning Spanish and access to abundant cultural resources, workshops, and activities allow you to more fully integrate into campus life at Universidad del Sagrado Corazón (USC). Through coursework, interaction with native students, and multiple cross-cultural opportunities, students will find Spanish Studies Abroad in San Juan to be a highly immersive study abroad experience.
LEARN THE LANGUAGE...
- Guided direct enrollment in courses specifically-designed for international students
- Classes taught by USC professors
- Independent Research Projects
- Intercambios with native speakers
TRAVEL THE LAND...
- All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips
- Visits to locations such as El Yunque (Tropical Rain Forest), Old San Juan, the City of Ponce and more!
- Optional excursions to various other sites in San Juan
LIVE THE LIFE...
- Organized cultural activities with Puerto Rican and international students
- Citywide festivals, upbeat nightlife and rich cultural attractions
- Volunteer opportunities
- Access to campus life through student clubs, organizations, and university events
...with Spanish Studies Abroad
Spanish Studies Abroad program fees include tuition, housing (on-campus dorm), support of the onsite Spanish Studies Abroad Resident Director, pre-departure support, excursions, cultural activities, orientation, health insurance, and a Spanish Studies Abroad transcript. Optional trips and activities are also available through the university.
- 1 semester of college level Spanish or the equivalent
- All applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- 3.0 overall GPA
- 12-15 credits per semester
Spanish Studies Abroad
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002
tel: (413) 256-0011