Integrated Studies Program - San Juan, Puerto Rico
Why choose San Juan?
Known today as “La Ciudad Amurallada” (the walled city), San Juan is one of the biggest natural harbors in the Caribbean and the oldest city in United States territory. It is also the one of the largest capitals in the Caribbean, with a population of over 2 million people. Old San Juan holds many of the government buildings and is characterized by its seventeenth and eighteenth century colonial style which echoes its Spanish ancestry.
About the Integrated Studies Program
The Integrated Studies Program gives students the unique opportunity to take classes alongside Puerto Rican students at Universidad del Sagrado Corazón, while benefiting from the cultural guidance, language tools, and academic quality that defines Spanish Studies Abroad programming.
Through university coursework, integration with local students, and multiple cross-cultural opportunities, students will find Spanish Studies Abroad in San Juan to be a highly immersive and integrated study abroad experience. For students who have reached at least the low advanced level, the Integrated Studies program provides the opportunity for students to enroll in all of the regular classes that are offered in both English and Spanish with Puerto Rican students. Students will be able to choose from a full set of courses that cover a multitude of disciplines, such as humanities, health, business and many others.
LEARN THE LANGUAGE...
- Guided direct-enrollment in courses
- 12-18 credits per semester
- Classes taught by local faculty
- Independent Research Projects
- Internships, Service Learning for credit
- Intercambios with native speakers
TRAVEL THE LAND...
- All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips
- Visits to locations such as El Yunque (Tropical Rain Forest), Old San Juan, the city of Ponce and more!
- Optional excursions to various other sites in San Juan.
LIVE THE LIFE...
- Organized cultural activities with local and international students
- Reside in on-campus student dorms
- Citywide festivals, upbeat nightlife and rich cultural attractions
- Volunteer opportunities
- Access to campus life and resources through student clubs, organizations, and university events
...with Spanish Studies Abroad
Spanish Studies Abroad program fees include tuition, housing, support of the onsite Spanish Studies Abroad Resident Director, pre-departure support, local study visits, cultural activities, orientation, health insurance, and a USC (Universidad Sagrado Corazón) transcript. Optional trips and activities are also available through the university.
- 1 semester of advanced college Spanish or the equivalent
- 3.0 GPA in Spanish language coursework
- All applicants must be at least 18 years old before program begins
Spanish Studies Abroad
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002
tel: (413) 256-0011