Begin Your Process Here!
Follow the steps to start the application process for study abroad.
- Research destinations and program options. Search our international programs database to match your academic goals and destinations of interests. You can filter your program search by academic subjects, terms abroad, location, and more.
- Make an advising appointment. Individual advising appointments are a great way to discuss plans for studying abroad. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an advising appointment. The Center for International Studies is located in the Burroughs Building at Spartanburg's main campus. Please refer to the campus map for assistance locating the Burroughs Building.
- Learn from others who have gone before you. Get connected with USC Upstate students who have studied abroad in your location of interest or an exchange student from that same country or institution. Students interested studying abroad may also join the Study Abroad Association; please visit the Student Life Agora platform or speak with a study abroad advisor.
- Apply for funding. In addition to student financial aid, students should research the plethora of scholarships and grants from local and national organizations, which are designed to help fund student international engagement. USC Upstate students are also encouraged to apply for scholarships from the Center for International Studies. Various other USC Upstate departments may also offer discipline-specific financial support for international studies.
- Apply to study abroad. After having explored the plethora of program opportunities in our database, and having identified the program that best matches your interests and needs, please navigate to the page for that program and click on the green 'Apply Now' button near the top right of that page. Application requirements and deadlines may be unique to the program you've selected. Be sure to pay close attention to both timelines and deadlines.
- Prepare for go abroad! In preparation for traveling abroad, there are several important details to attend to. The mandatory pre-departure orientation meeting(s) are a great way to learn not only from presenters, but also from questions and recommendations from other students who will be traveling abroad. Please visit our "Prepare to Go Abroad" page to learn more about how to prepare and what to expect during your travels.